Our fee is one of the lowest of any national workshop
the policy debate workshop
The Baylor Debate Policy
Workshop emphasizes research and skill development on the NSDA/NFL policy debate resolution for the upcoming season.
- Labs and lectures are offered on the novice, intermediate, and championship levels.
are given by Baylor’s debate coaching staff, and by undergraduate debaters from Baylor’s nationally recognized
intercollegiate debating team. Baylor’s coaches have published numerous scholarly articles on argumentation and debate
theory, and have decades of experience in the debate activity.
- Baylor’s low student-faculty
ratio (10:1) allows the opportunity for extensive one on one interaction with one of the most outstanding teaching faculties
of any summer workshop.
- Students at the workshop can research in Baylor’s world-class
library, and have easy access to the best electronic research available. In addition, students will receive complimentary
access to AirBear, for conducting wireless research and for paperless debate practice!
practice sessions equip students with the experience necessary to improve their in round debating skills.
About the Lincoln-Douglas debate workshop
The Lincoln-Douglas Debate Workshop provides the student an intensive, skill-specific experience on the upcoming
high school Lincoln-Douglas debate topic. We have created a format uniquely ours for teaching value debating to high school
students. The Lincoln-Douglas section will be an independent workshop, featuring instruction in philosopny, value debate strategy
and tactics, persuasion and public speaking skills.
- Our theory lectures are given by reputable
debate theorists who have published articles in scholarly journals and have attended numerous conferences on argumentation
- Each student will participate in practice debates to enhance his or her debate skills.
- Classes are offered in the novice, intermediate, and championship levels.
- The Baylor
Debate Workshop offers the most extensive library material specific to the upcoming topic.
Date: July 8-15, 2018
One initial fee covers ALL costs of the workshop. There are NO hidden lab fees. Price includes:
- Baylor Briefs and Communican debate handbooks (policy) or Value Debate Handbook (Lincoln-Douglas)
of topic briefs (this allows us to begin practice debates immediately)
** Discounted rates for commuter
students are available.
Cutting-edge debate instruction
Baylor has created a unique camp format
for teaching policy debate to high school students. The goal of the policy workshop is to offer instruction in both “traditional”
and “critical” styles of policy debate, with the ultimate aim of producing well-rounded debaters who are prepared
to debate against any type of argument. Students who attend our workshop will be well-prepared to debate on the UIL, TFA or
national TOC/NSDA circuits.
- Students receive instruction at all levels of experience and
with regard to the different styles of policy debate associated with each circuit (local, UIL, TOC, etc.)
- Special instruction will be offered in researching policy propositions, as well as critical approaches to policy
- All students will receive extensive interaction with the Baylor Debate coaching staff.
- All students will participate in no less than four fully critiqued debates, adjudicated by our workshop faculty and/or
special guest critics
- Students will receive extensive training in how to improve their own speaking
abilities and how to get a competitive edge against their opponents.
- Intensive practice sessions
will provide the experience necessary to improve in round debating skills.
2018 Workshop Information Letter
2018 Workshop Application
Baylor Debaters' Workshop/Baylor University
One Bear Place # 97368
Waco, Texas 76798-7368